What should we include in Bike Score?

Walk Score of Bikeable Area

Being able to bike to lots of amenities should increase your Bike Score. Suggest calculating the Walk Score of the area you can bike to and factoring that into the Bike Score.

355 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    mattlernermattlerner shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • WoodbineHeightsWoodbineHeights commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this is the obvious way to start. It would be ridiculous not to use this as the base. To be clear, I mean to apply the walk score criteria to a larger area that reflects the increased speed of cycling.

• Ville MVille M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a good idea, u can get rought idea by turning on "bike lanes" in google maps, where u see larger area of green should improve scores in that area. Because what good is a tiny area of good bikability surrounded in a sea of bike hating cities/areas.

• LyleLyle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think what he means is that most of the things that give a neighborhood a high WalkScore are the exact same things that give it a high BikeScore. In fact, BikeScore might be almost as simple as WalkScore with a larger radius.

• keithmokeithmo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think you're saying:

1. Calculate a base bike score for a given location.
        2. Calculate the walk score for any commerce center (strip mall, etc) within the biking radius.
        3. Compute a final bike score using the results of #1 and #2 (and possibly others).

If this is what you meant, then yes, I agree with this 100%

Feedback and Knowledge Base