What should we include in Bike Score?

Ability to take bikes on local/nearby public transit (bus, train...)

334 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    JoshJosh shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Qarl JohnsonQarl Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since the mid 90s in Victoria and Vancouver BC, cyclists have been able to load 2 bikes on exterior racks on the public buses. But unless your destination is at a terminus, commuting is a risky business especially during commute times. So the success of the bus racks is now imperilling the ability top reliably integrate bus and cycling. Furthermore, if conditions allowed, in the 90s I could take my bike trailer into the bus. Now bike trailers are explicitly prohibited from being allowed on board ever.

• Daniel HowardDaniel Howard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Different modes and transit agencies have different value: Caltrain is possibly the best transit agency in the nation for bringing your bike. And the Santa Clara County VTA light rail also has dedicated indoor bike racks on each vehicle. A city bus with a bike rack on the front would be a bit further down the list.

From that perspective, the transit center in Mountain View, CA is very favorable: Caltrain, light rail, buses, bike lanes, small blocks with light traffic, and access to a regional trail a few blocks down ...

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Linking mobility modes is critical to getting more people to get around by bike.

• SpencerSpencer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've lived places where bikes could, and places places where bikes couldn't be taken on public transit. Being able to take my bike on the bus/train helps me be more flexible in my commute, and used in combination can make getting around much easier and faster. (also the back up plan for getting home when you're tired, carrying groceries and it's rainy is nice to have)

Feedback and Knowledge Base